Sijo Kuruvilla George
Sijo Kuruvilla George is the Founding CEO of Startup Village. Sijo provided vision and leadership for setting up country's first PPP (Public Private Partnership) Technology Business Incubator (TBI). Under his leadership, Startup Village, in a span of 3 years, grew from its inception in 2012 to being regarded as one of the best startup destinations in the country and also the best TBI award by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
During his tenure at Startup Village, Sijo was instrumental in conceptualisation and advocacy of the Student Entrepreneurship Policy in the state of Kerala, a first of its kind in the country. He is presently a consultant to Kerala Startup Mission, a government body that is the nodal agency for implementing the Kerala Technology Startup Policy. Sijo was also the person who led the Fellows of the SVSquare delegation to Silicon Valley. SVSquare was a flagship program of Government of Kerala in association with Startup Village that offered 5 promising student entrepreneurs from the state an all expense paid trip to Silicon Valley.
In recognition of his contributions to society, he was invited to the first cohort of Rajeev Circle Fellowships by Motwani Jadeja Family Foundation and the International Visitor Leadership Forum (IVLP), prestigious professional exchange program of the Department of State, USA. Sijo is a speaker at various forums in the country and his works have been extensively covered by the press & media. He is also often quoted and cited in various publications across the country. Malayala Manorama, the leading Malayalam newspaper brand in Kerala, referred to him as the “Megamind behind the treasure trove in Cochin”. He also writes for Mathrubhumi as a columnist, another major Malayalam news daily. He also maintains a blog in which he chronicles his thoughts and other writings.
Sijo serves as mentor & advisor to several startups. He also serves on the board of some of these organisations. Startups he serves as mentor & advisor include Flip Technologies, Sastra Robotics, iTraveller, Agrima, Riafy, DIYHacking. Sijo is also a member of the Board of CITTIC, a society for innovation and entrepreneurship development and also the Board of Studies in Technology and Management of Cochin University (CUSAT)
Sijo is also the Cofounder of MobME, a technology startup in the telecom domain. What started out as a humble player in the Indian mobile VAS space is today a company that is valued at over 200 crores. An incubatee company of Technopark TBI, MobME was the recipient of the most innovative IT company award by NASSCOM during its initial years. Sijo oversaw the business development activities of the organisation and was also instrumental in attracting angel investments to the tune of half a million dollars.
Sijo also brings along with him management consulting experience with PWC & Deloitte. During his consulting tenue he has worked with organisations like DFID, World Bank and departments of several governments like Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Tamil Nadu. Sijo also serves as advisor & consultant to several organisations. Organisations which he has served as consultant or advisor include KITCO, LetsVenture, ABI.
Sijo has held leadership roles and elected offices of power throughout his student life. He is cited in the list of accomplished alumni of all his alma mater institutions. Sijo was also active in sports during his college & school days. He was a University basketball player during his college days. As a cricket player, he has represented his district until the Under 19 team. He has also served in the NCC during his high school days. He was also active in the arts, representing his school at various levels in dramatics, extempore & debates.
An ardent board game lover, Sijo is the proud owner of a curated collection of board games. An avid reader of books, some of Sijo’s favourite titles include Abundance by Peter Diamandis, Leadership on the line by Marty Linksy & Ronald Heifetz, Future Shock by Alvin Toffler, Rethinking Money by Bernard Lietaer and Jacqui Dunne, Art of Learning by Joshua Waitzkin, Whats mine is yours by Rachel Botsman & Roo Rogers, Managing with Power by Jeffrey Pfeffer, Zero Marginal Cost Society by Jeremy Rifkin, Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirkey.
Sijo is passionate about technology & entrepreneurship. He works towards the democratization of opportunities in these spaces and associated capacity building initiatives. Sijo’s interests lie at the intersection of technology, governance and policy advocacy.
- It is your time now
- It’s the conversations that make the community
- Two incredibly simple tools to manage distractions and increase your focus
- In pursuit of a new work culture: Sleeping in office
- I don’t read newspapers anymore
- Let go or be dragged
- “How did you come to know about Startup Village?”
- I once travelled to Singapore on a 1 dollar ticket
- Email productivity hacks: Inbox Pause
- You can do a lot with 20%
- Evernote & glimpses of a mature work culture
- The mementos I keep receiving at college sessions
- “What does your name mean?”
- “We don’t judge ideas”
- WhatsApp and the double edged sword of double ticks
- The age of code literacy
- A personal request on entrepreneurship day!
- Email productivity hacks: Canned responses
- In pursuit of a new work culture
- An interesting use case of Facebook Graph Search
- The Silicon Valley experience begins
- Im sure you would love to meet Eric Schmidt. And now you can! ?
- It takes a village to transform a nation
- The books that made me Rethink!
- Rethinking female entrepreneurship on Women's day
- The story of the cool kid who controls a car with an app
- My first post on Quora and the SV Harlem Shake
- Student team from Startup Village rocks Innoz Hackathon @ Bangalore
- Dealing with Inbox clutter.
- The joy of quiet @ Vagamon Heights
- The Road Less Travelled
- Inspired thoughts at TEDxYouth@Chennai Part 1
- The template
- Shades of grey
- This just cant be a writer’s block!!
- ഇനി നിങ്ങളുടെ ഊഴം
- ആസ്തിയായി മാറുന്നു സ്റ്റാർട്ടപ്പ് നിക്ഷേപങ്ങൾ
- ആചാര്യശ്രേഷ്ടനുള്ള ഗുരുദക്ഷിണ
- നെടുംതൂണായി അദ്ധ്യാപകരും
- ഫാബ് ലാബുകളുടെ പ്രാധാന്യം
- സ്റ്റാർട്ടപ്പ് വില്ലേജുകൾ എല്ലാ കോളേജുകളിലും
- സിലിക്കൺ വാലിയിലെ കൗതുകക്കാഴ്ചകൾ
- വരും തലമുറയെ സന്നദ്ധരാക്കാം
- സ്റ്റാർട്ടപ്പ് നിക്ഷേപകലോകത്തെ പരിവർത്തനങ്ങൾ
- ഉത്തേജനമായി അക്വിസിഷനുകൾ
- സംഭാരക്ത്വ സംസ്കാരം വളർത്താം
- ഒരു യുവാവിന്റെ കഥ
- ആശയമുണ്ട്, ഇനി എന്ത്
What I’m doing now Last updated: September 23, 2016
Very much based out of Cochin. Enjoying my board games. Looking to get as much writing done as possible
Playing board games, reading books Blocking out time to write Giving talks and visiting colleges Working with talent to develop a leadership pipeline Learning policy and governance Figuring out vernacular content, videos and twitter Working with few founders on their personal and professional strategy My chosen way of public service is to provide people with access to as much information as I can. I spend considerable amount of my time meeting people, answering emails and responding to WhatsApps from people who reach out for advice / guidance. So if you have a question feel free reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.